Alyssa & Steve's Excellent Adventure

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kaikoura

For those of you who are wondering why we're not on a farm yet, we had originally scheduled a farm stay for this week, but it fell through. We've decided to take this as providence and take the next twelve days to do some eco-tourism and exploring off the beaten path.

Kaikoura is truly a marine town. Along the rocky beach, there are surf shops and fish and chips take-aways. Yesterday Steve had a juicy, delicious “Hawaiian burger.” Here's a list of what they put on it: Burger, cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, pineapple, onions, and lastly, sliced beets! He could have opted for ketchup (“tomaato” sauce) for an additional 60 cents, but decided it would be a little TOO much.

Due to a 2000 meter-deep drop directly off the coast and the convergence of two distinct ocean currents, Kaikoura's waters are an excellent feeding ground for many ocean animals, including whales, dolphins, and our favorite, the NZ fur seal ('cause you can see those for free!) About 2k down the coast lies a colony of fur seals that sun themselves on the brown rocks. They camouflage in so well with the landscape, but we had a special few encounters, including a few close ones.


We freedom camped on the beach, opening our van hatch to the fresh ocean breeze, making a habit to watch both the sunset and sunrise every day. One of the most enjoyable things about New Zealand so far is that the days are so much longer. Since we're further than the equator than we're used to, and we're below it as well, it's summertime. Also, the sun rises at about 6:30AM local time and sets around 9:30PM, so it's only really dark for about 7 hours a night.

As we're writing this, the day is indeed fading, so we must depart now. We'll see you in a week or so to update you on our adventures.


5 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Blogger swiftone said...

Yo crouse mouse I'm so glad you & steve are having such an amazing time! I gotta say I was quite disappointed that we didn't actually connect to talk before you left, but I understand how it is traveling across the world & all. I love the van and I'm so jealous, glad to see you updating the travel blog. Miss you, and I hope we can actually talk via skype or something soon.

 
At 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read the next update! Have fun you guys!

BTW - That Hawaiian burger sounds awesome! Hee hee.

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought you a present. I called your mom and told her that if she happens to send you a package (if you ever have an address for long enough) that I wanna throw my gift in...

I miss you guys so much! I keep wanting to call you... it's like a limb got chopped off and I'm having phantom alyssas.

I'm really happy seeing you two and the van. I hope you find a farm soon so I can see you two with chickens and other cute animals! Love you both!

-Liz (and Dan, but I'm the one writing this)

 
At 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyyy guys, felt like stopping by to see how everything was going for yall! Your van seems freakin awesome!!! Word! LOL.

~Michelle & Diana

P.S-Is the picture of the latte actually from the Starbucks you went to? Or just a random picture?

P.P.S-We miss you Steve!!!

 
At 10:56 PM , Blogger Jd said...

Hi. Sounds like a great run so far. Very impressed with your excellent ride. Also the right-hand drive method. I did it once in the UK driving from London to Salisbury (Stonehenge, of course). Anyway, I'm just back from SoCal and catching up with all that's been going on while I was away. Keep up the cool posts and let's make a time to do the Skype thing. Let me know what works for you two. Bye for now, Jd

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home